Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Grass on my Side of the Fence is Actually Greener, But I still Want Whats on the Other Side....

I live in a edibly challenged community.There is not a lot of variety when it comes to food. Having grown up in a place with cheese shops, corner bakers and butchers who know exactly how much meat to cut for your size of family, it is frustrating to live in a town that doesn't even have a fish market.Only 10 miles from the ocean, my seafood choices are limited to the Styrofoam and plastic contained fish from foreign oceans available at the mega chain grocery store. Surrounded by miles of fields of growing food that will be consumed in places like New York City,the mango in my kitchen is from Mexico. The irony is that our local food is on menus of high end restaurants all over. In fact, the RH in West Hollywood, the epitome of ultra hipster sexy chic, describes there food as having LOMPOC ingredients, like that makes it better!Do you see the frustration!We only like food that comes from somewhere else!
Isn't there some grocery mega chain store CEO some where who may put it together that it might actually be more expensive and of less quality to truck produce across the country?I can imagine the truckers waving at each other as they pass each other on America's freeways...CARRYING THE VERY SAME TOMATOES TO OPPOSITE COASTS! to be contined with Thank God for Full of Life Flatbread, and the Lompoc Wine Ghetto!Join me as I discover the edible and drinkable wonders at my doorstep...

No comments:

Post a Comment