Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Full of Life Flatbread Secrets

Flatbread not really about the "pizza" , its not really just a place to go on Saturday night,its not really just about being "healthy" .It is a divine food experience , and can be as amazing as a trip to The French Laundry or Butter or wherever foodies around the world save up hundreds of dollars more to blow on one meal. You just need to know what to order.


Flat bread has a real bonafide Chef trained by the great Alice Waters. Brian Collins is from Chez Painise, "the restaurant that changed the way America Eats ." You see, Europeans have always cooked what is there. Gathered fresh from the yard, neighbors, woods, or ocean, the meal is determined by the ingredients. Most American restaurants start with the menu and work backwards.Brian, however, hunts and gathers the best of the land and sea, which of course changes week to week, and makes the menu with what is there.And, because he is a chef's chef, he invents new combinations of textures and flavors and prepares the dishes flawlessly in a way you would never have thought of . For example, last time I was there, I was excited to see Morro Bay oysters on the menu, something I never turn down. But wait, they are served with lamb sausage?For Real?I hesitated, wondering if I was risking being punked by Ashton Kutcher, but then when I realized its the only way I was going to get to have oysters ,I risked the potential humiliation.

Who would ever imagined the genius of the dish...It was fine art.The lamb was strong and gamy, seasoned heartily , the oysters delicate and smooth , tasting like an wave from a clean ocean.It was the whole universe on one plate.Taste and texture wise it was the epitome of that whole Yong/Yang thing.(I don't really know what that is exactly, but I think you get my point.)


This is adventure eating at its finest.You must be willing, no excited to try something new and you will not be disappointed.

The secret?ALWAYS ORDER THE SPECIALS.The peperoni flat bread is delicious, but you are missing out on such an amazing food experience if you stick with the familiar.They serve 2 special flatbreads per night, highlighting the fabulous local ingredients gathered from neighboring farms and ranches.ORDER THIS,no matter how unfamiliar it may sound ....if you ask nicely , they will be happy to do a 1/2 and 1/2 so you can try both specials in the same pie..(I told you there would be secret.)


Don't forget dessert...

2 comments:

  1. their beet and leak salad is one of my faves....
    flatbread is my favorite. not only is the food exceptional, the atmosphere is fun too! and good for a date night OR a family dinner. i love it there.

    ReplyDelete