Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Where to eat in the airport?



Seriously, remember when everyone used to joke about how bad airplane food was?Not funny anymore, huh...BECAUSE THERE IS NO MORE FOOD TO JOKE ABOUT!(on coach domestic anyway.)How I long for the tiny plastic plates of hot green beans and rubbery chicken.Or how about those free peanuts, you always got a couple of tiny bags extra to toss in your purse.Those days are gone, my friend.
We flew cross country last week and did not receive so much as a free pretzel.Stewardeses sold snacks and military ration level "ready to eat meals" mid flight.Just to make things weirder the only form of payment accepted is plastic, possibly to keep in line with the flavor of the food.
How I wished I had made more sandwiches.PB&J on day old bread is a feast at 10,000 feet.It's true, when rushing to catch a plane , the last thing one wants to make room for in the ever shrinking carry on space for is picnic items.....which leads me to the worst mistake ...."I'll grab something at the airport."
So what to eat at the airport, you ask. The answer is very tricky, but I promise to help you navigate through these dark waters.
1. Eat fast food. Clearly I am a big supporter of the whole whole foods deal, but there is a time and place for everything and this is the time for a Big Mac.It will taste like it should to the standards of the chain outside the twilight food zone of the airport and it will be probably be just as bad for you as the horrible tasting "healthy" deli sub that costs 9.50$
2.Ask 3 airport workers where to get a decent bite.If 3 people say the same thing, your golden.Keep in mind you are still in an airport,and "restaurant" may be a term used generously, but they all take real money so make the best choice possible when you have to kill time and hunger during a layover.
3. International Terminal. Not quite sure why food here is slightly better, but it is.
4.Eat in the bars , and order bar food. Remember you are the airports prisoner, you can't leave and you are hungry.And, although a burger in an airport has little resemblance to its self in the outside world, a cold beer tastes the same wherever you go.If an establishment serves drinks and has a kids menu, it's a fine place to hang my hat for an hour or so.



My family and I had a decent experience during a 3 hour layover in Houston last week following guideline #2.I asked 5 workers (all different walks of life)what their favorite eats was inside and 3 pointed me to Pappadeux. A local TGIfridays of sorts, the waiter was excellent and steered us to the crab cakes, which where great.All in all a great pub meal, complete with Houston Oysters and French Fries.Nice to put our 10 carryons down for a few and relax.I mean somebody is bringing me food, and that is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment